The Lean Division Best Practice Competition
Sponsored by Dr. Rapinder Sawhney
The Lean Division of IIE is launching its sixth industry best practice award and welcomes applications from organizational teams for the Lean Division Best Practice Award 2016.
The Lean Division Best Practice Award recognizes organizations for innovative and effective implementation of lean principles and practices that deliver exemplary business performance improvement. IIE will conduct the award competition to promote successful implementation of lean by recognizing best in class industries and sharing their stories with others. This is a very prestigious award for a team and their industry.
The award will be bestowed to the top three teams and be presented at the IIE Annual Conference & Expo 2016, May 21-24 in Anaheim, Calif.
- Any team, two or more members, of any organization who want to showcase their successful implementation of lean concepts
- The team must demonstrate innovative uses of lean tools and techniques for its measurable outcomes
- There is no limit on the number of entries from an organization
- All entries will be pre-screened to select up to eight finalist teams
- All finalist teams will be required to attend the IIE Annual Conference & Expo and present their cases
- Top three teams will be selected and announced at the Honors & Awards Banquet of the IIE Annual Conference & Expo
- The lean implementation initiative is innovative
- The lean implementation initiative has clear measurable performance objectives and they were met
- The lean implementation approach is simple and straightforward
- The lean implementation initiative used lean tools and techniques
- The lean implementation initiative derived significant and measurable outcomes such as cost reduction, lead time reduction, quality improvement, safety improvement, etc.
- The lean implementation is sustainable
- The quality of the presentation is excellent including problem statement, clear descriptions and metrics with visuals
To provide necessary detail and ensure consistency in judging, prepare the narrative portion of the entry according to the respective requirements on the submission form. Your narrative document must be a maximum of five standard pages using a minimum font size of 10 points. Supporting materials or samples may be included if they are directly applicable to your entry, however, they will not be returned. You may also include a support letter from the top management highlighting the scope, impact and sustainability of the lean project.
Entries Should Include
- A completed submission form (download form) Submission Form
- Any relevant supporting materials
- Credentials of team members
- Support letter from top management
The complete application package is due to the chair of the committee by TBD. Applicants must send their submissions electronically – preferably as an email attachment. In case of large electronic documents, applicants may upload them in an online repository (i.e. www.yousendit.com) and provide the access to the chair of the committee. Finalists will be notified by TBD. Submit your applications to firstname.lastname@example.org.
2014 Committee Chair
University of Southern Mississippi
Lynne Smith, Lauren Hudspeth and Jessica Hoffman
Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
"Investment Workflow: An Innovative Application of Lean in Philanthropy"
Sean Roche and Ken McClannon
Nypro Healthcare, Ireland
"Development of a New Nypro Healthcare Manufacturing Facility"
Csilla Papp and Aron Mark Bobvos
Robert Bosch Power Tool Kft., Hungary
"Let's Make it Lean! Lean Transformation as the Key Success Factor for Sustainable Growth"
Jack Chen and Yufeng Xu
"Manufacturing Process Optimization Program"
Paula Liotine and Mark Nash
American Fidelity Assurance
"Creating a Lean Culture in the Insurance Industry"
Tata Consultancy Services
"Herculean - The Innovative Lean Deployment Program"
Hemantha Perera and Lalith Herath
MAS Linea Aqua
"Manufacturing Practices for Operational Excellence in the Apparel Industry"
Parviz Kheirkhah and Lucy Moyer
MD Anderson Cancer Center
"Pharmacy Go Lean: An Initiative in Lean Culture"
Julie Sisson and Joe Giorgianni
"Implementing Lean Supplier Pull Systems via Supplier Portal"
Lean Division Page