The facility tours offer an in-depth, behind-the-scenes look at continuous improvement in action at two facilities in one tour. The tour requires advance registration and a separate fee for round-trip motor coach transportation. The tour will depart from the Embassy Suites San Antonio Riverwalk-Downtown.
Toyota Motor Manufacturing Texas (TMMTX) is the home of the Toyota Tundra full-size pickup, recently awarded the 2008 Motor Trend Truck of the Year, and the second highest ranked large truck in the 2008 J.D. Power and Associates Initial Quality Study.
This plant has also received the 2008 J.D. Power and Associates Silver award for Assembly Plant Quality in North and South America. This is the first-of-its-kind honor for a Toyota plant in its first year of production operation. Cutting edge technology, hard work and determination combine to make an award-winning vehicle unlike any other.
The tour guides will take you through 2.2 million square feet of our facility. First you will be taken into the body weld shop. Here you will watch a team of computer-controlled robots use state-of-the-art technology to weld stamp steel pieces together. Next, you will move into the plastics shop. This is where critical components, including the vehicle bumpers and instrument panels, are made. Following, you will see overhead conveyors transport the trucks from paint to the final line in assembly. Throughout the tour, your guide will point out the foundations of the world-renowned Toyota Productions System, as well as give insight to the line side processes of the TMMTX team members. The director of external affairs will join the group for Q&A.
After the tour at TMMTX, the group will tour REYES Automotive Group, a tier one supplier for TMMTX. Reyes Automotive Group is a minority owned Joint Venture (or JV) that is comprised of two companies with a combined 120 years of manufacturing experience. The JV is headed by Fernando Reyes who has over 20 years of manufacturing experience. International Automotive Components Inc. (IACNA), the minority partner, is currently the second largest injection molder in North America. At Reyes we combine our strengths to make world class trim components for the next generation Toyota Tundra and Tacoma pickup trucks using injection molding, blow molding and various assembly techniques in a just-in-time (JIT) environment.
Please adhere to these guideline provided by TMMTX as anyone who does not follow the guidelines will not be permitted to go on the tour.
TMMTX maintains a safe and secure environment so please be aware of the following guidelines:
- No carry-on is permitted in the visitor center, including purses, backpack, briefcases or bags of any kind. Please leave them in your vehicle.
- Personal transportation is required while traveling on the TMMTX campus.
- A valid photo ID will be required for each adult scheduled for the tour.
- Cameras are allowed in the visitor center; however, they must be checked in at the registration desk before the plant tour. No cameras or camera phones are allowed in the manufacturing facility.
Important: Since this is a tour through an operational manufacturing facility, there is a certain dress code that must be followed without exception:
- Long pants (no skirts, no shorts)
- Shirts must have sleeves (short sleeves acceptable: no sleeveless or cap sleeves)
- Midriffs must be covered
- Closed toes shoes must be worn. (No sandals or open toe shoes)
- Safety glasses and hard hats will be supplies and must be worn at all times during the tour.