Systems of System Theory
Topic Leader: Ra’ed Jaradat
Affiliation: Old Dominion University
- Ashby, R. (1956). An Introduction to Cybernetics. London: Chapman & Hall, Ltd.
- Beer, S. (1985). Diagnosing the System for Organization. Chichester: John Willey & Sons.
- Beer, S. (1981) The Brain of the Firm, New York.: John Wiley and Sons.
- Blanchard, B. (2008). System Engineering Management. New Jersey: John Wiley & Sons.
- Checkland, P. (1993). Systems Thinking, Systems Practice. New York John Wiley & Sons.
- Checkland, P., and Scholes, J. (1999). Soft Systems Methodology in Action. Chichester: John Wiley & Sons.
- Clemson, B. (1984). Cybernetics: A New Management Tool. Kent: Abacus Press.
- Flood, R. and Carson, E. (1993). Dealing with Complexity: An Introduction to the Theory and Application of Systems Science, New York and London: Plenum Press.
- Jamshidi, M. (ed). (2009). Systems of Systems Engineering – Innovations for the 21st Century. New Jersey: Wiley and Sons.
- Jamshidi, M. (ed). (2008). System of Systems – Principles and Applications. Boca Raton, Florida: Taylor & Francis.
- Hitchins, D. (2003). Advanced Systems Thinking, Engineering, and Management. Norwood: Artech House, Inc.
- Keating, C. (2009). Emergence in System of Systems. In M. Jamshidi (Ed.), System of Systems Engineering: Innovations for the 21st Century (pp. 169-190). Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Kotov, V. (1997). Systems of Systems as Communicating Structures. Hewlett Packard.
- Meadows, D. (2008). Thinking in Systems. Vermont: Chelsea Green Publishing.
- Mitroff, I. (1998). Smart Thinking for Crazy Times. San Francisco: Berrett-Koehler Publisher. Inc.
- Sage, A. (2005). Systems Engineering for Information Technology and Software Engineering. New York: John Wiley & Sons.
- Schwartz, P. (1991). The Art of the Long View. New York: Doubleday/Currency.
- Senge, P. (1990). The fifth discipline: The art and science of the learning organization. New York: Doubleday.
- Skyttner, L. (2001). General Systems Theory: Ideas and Applications. Singapore: World Scientific.
- Smuts, J. (1926). Holism and Evolution. New York: Greenwood Press.
- Suh, N. (2005). Complexity Theory and Applications. Oxford University Press, Inc.
- Van der Heijden, K. (1996). Scenarios: The Art of Strategic Conversation. New York : John Wiley & Sons.
- Von Bertalanffy, L. (1968). General System Theory: Foundations, Development, Applications. New York: revised ed., George Braziller.
- Weinberg, G. (2001). An Introduction to General Systems Thinking. New York: Dorset House Publishing
Recommended Journal Articles
- Ackoff, R. (1971). Towards a system of systems concepts. Management. Science, 17 (11), 661–672.
- Adams KmacG. (2011). System Principles: Foundation for the SoSE Methodology., International Journal of System of Systems Engineering, 2 (2/3), 120-155.
- Adams KmacG., and Keating, C. (2011). Overview of the Systems of Systems Engineering
- Methodology. International Journal of System of Systems Engineering, 2 (2/3), 112-119.
- Adams, KmacG., and Meyers J. (2011). Perspective 1 of the SoSE Methodology: Framing the System Under Study. International Journal of System of Systems Engineering, 2 (2/3), 163-192.
- Ashby, R. (1947). Principles of the self-organizing dynamic system. Journal of General Psychology, 37, 125–128.
- Beer, S. (1984). The Viable Systems Model: Its Provenance, Development, Methodology and Pathology. Journal of the Operational Research Society, 35(1), 7-26.
- Cherns, A. (1976). The principles of sociotechnical design. Human Relations, 29(8),783–792.
- DeLaurentis, A., and Callaway, R. (2004). A System-of Systems Perspective for Future Public Policy. Review of Policy Research, 21(6), 829–837.
- DiMario, M., Cloutier, R., and Verma, D. (2008). Applying Frameworks to Manage SoS Architecture. Engineering Management Journal, 20(4), 18-23.
- Frank, M. (2006). Knowledge, Abilities, Cognitive Characteristics and Behavioral Competences of Engineers with high Capacity for Engineering Systems Thinking (CEST). Journal of Systems Engineering, 9(2), 91-103.
- Gardner, M.R. and Ashby, W.R. (1970). Connectance of large dynamic (cybernetic) systems: critical values for stability. Nature, 228(5273)784.
- Gorod, A., Sauser, B., and Boardman, J. (2008). System-of-Systems Engineering Management: A Review of Modern History and a Path Forward. IEEE Systems Journal, 2(4) 484 -499.
- Hitch, C. (1953). Sub-optimization in operations problems. Journal of the Operational Research Society of America,1(3), 87–99.
- Jackson, M., and Keys, P. (1984). Towards a system of systems methodologies. Journal of Operations Research Society 35(6), 473–486, 1984.
- Katina, F., keating, C., and Jaradat, R. (2012). System Requirements Engineering in Complex Situations. Requirements Engineering Journal, (DOI) 10.1007/s00766-012-0157-0.
- Katina, P. F., and Jaradat, R. (2012). A three-phase framework for elicitation of infrastructure requirements. Int. J. Critical Infrastructures, 8(2/3), 121–133.
- Keating, C., Rogers, R., Unal, R., Dryer, D., Sousa- Poza, A., Safford, R., Peterson, W., and Rabadi, G. (2003). System of Systems Engineering. Engineering Management Journal, 15(3) 36-45.
- Keating, C., Sousa-Poza, A., and Mun, J. (2004). System of Systems Engineering Methodology. Engineering Management & Systems Engineering, 20(4), 24-31.
- Keating, C., Padilla, J., & Adams, K. (2008). System of Systems Engineering Requirements: Challenges and Guidelines. Engineering Management Journal, 20(4), 24-31.
- Luskasik, S. (1998). System, system of systems, and the education of engineers. Artificial Intelligence for Engineering Design, Analysis and Manufacturing, 12(1), 55-60.
- Maier, M. (1998). Architecting principles for systems-of-systems. Systems Engineering, 1(4), 267–284.
- Sage, A., and Cuppan, C. (2001). On the Systems Engineering and Management of Systems of Systems and Federations of Systems. Information, Knowledge, Systems Management, 2(4), 325–345.
- Shenhar, A. (1994). Systems engineering management: a framework for the development of a multidisciplinary discipline. Systems, Man and Cybernetics, IEEE Transactions on,24(2), 327-332.
- Simon, H. (1973). The Structure of Ill Structured Problems. Artificial Intelligence, 4(3/4), 181-201.
- Sousa-Poza, A., Kovacic, S., and Keating, C. (2008). System of systems engineering: an emerging multidiscipline, International Journal of System of Systems Engineering, 1(1/2), 1-17.
- Von Bertalanffy, L. (1950). An outline of general systems theory. The British Journal for the Philosophy of Science, 1(2), 134–165.
Recommended Conferences Papers
- Abutabanjeh, S., and Jaradat, R.M., "Imagination from Public Administration and System of Systems (SoS) Perspectives," In Proceedings of the 24th PAT-NET conference, Norfolk, VA, May, 2011.
- Azani, C.H., Khorramshahgol, R., "The open system strategy: an integrative business and engineering approach for building advanced complex systems," Proceedings of the 9th World Multiconference on Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics, Orlando, FL, July 10-13, 2005.
- Boardman, J., and B. Sauser., "System o f Systems - the meaning of," in IEEE International System of Systems Conference, Los Angeles, CA, 2006.
- DeLaurentis, A., "Understanding Transportation as a System-of-Systems Design Problem," 43rd AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting, Reno, Nevada, January 2005, pp. 10-13.
- Elhassani, T., Zhang, Jun., Khasawneh, M., and Jaradat, R. M., "The Incorporation of Layout Design into an Agent-based Evacuation Model," In Proceeding of Modeling, Simulation, and Visualization Student Capstone (VMASC) conference, Suffolk, Virginia, April 8, 2010.
- Gorod, A., Sauser, B., and Boardman, J., "Paradox: holarchical view of system of systems engineering management," IEEE International Conference on System of Systems Engineering, Singapore, June,2008, pp. 1-6.
- Henrie, M., Delaney, E., "Towards a common system of systems vocabulary," IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, October, 2005.
- Jamshidi, M., "System of systems engineering: A definition," Piscataway IEEE SMC, New Jersey, 2005.
- Jaradat, R.M., and Kady, R.A., " Integration System Safety into System of Systems, " In Proceedings of The 30h International System Safety Conference (ISSC), Atlanta, Georgia, Aug, 2012.
- Jaradat, R.M., and Katina, P. F., "A Synthesis of Definitions for System of Systems Engineering," In Proceedings of the 32st National American Society for Engineering Management Conference, Lubbock, Texas, Oct, 2011, pp. 589-596.
- Kaplan, J., "Challenges and Approaches to System of Systems Engineering," Paper presented at the Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Washington, DC, June, 2005.
- Keating, C, "Research Foundations for System of Systems Engineering," Proceedings from the IEEE International Conference, Alberta, Canada, October, 2005, pp. 1-6.
- Keating, C., Peterson, W., and Rabadi, G., "Framing Complex System of Systems Engineering Problem," Proceedings of the 24th Annual Conference of the American Society for Engineering Management: Managing Technology in a Dynamic World, 2003.
- Keating, C., Sousa-Poza, A., and Kovacic, S., "Complex System Transformation: A System of Systems Engineering (SoSE) Perspective," Proceedings of the 26th American Society for Engineering Management, October, 2005.
- Kovacic, S., Sousa-Poza, A., Keating, C., "Complex Situations: An alternative approach for viewing wicked problems." Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on System of Systems Engineering, Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Taiwan, October, 2006.
- Mansfield, J., "Complex System Boundaries and where to draw them," Systems Engineering/Test and Evaluation Conference, Brisbane, Australia, November, 2005.
- Ring, Jack., and Azad, Madni., "Key challenges and Opportunities in 'System of Systems' Engineering," Proceedings from the IEEE International Conference, Alberta, Canada, October, 2005, pp. 1-6.
- Shenhar, A., "A new systems engineering taxonomy," in Proc. 4th Int.Symp. Nat. Council Syst. Eng, 1994, 261–276.
- Sindiy, O.V., DeLaurentis, D.A., Akaydin, K.A. and Smith, D.A., "Improved decision support in space exploration via system-of-systems analysis," IEEE International Conference on System of Systems Engineering, 16–18 April, San Antonio, Texas, 2007, pp.1–6.
- Sobek, D. K., and Jimmerson, C., "A3 Reports: Tool for Process Improvement," The Industrial Engineering Research Conference, Houston, Texas, 2004.
- Trisha., P., Jansma, A., and Derro, M., "If You Want Good Systems Engineers, Sometimes You Have To Grow Your Own," IEEE Aerospace Conference, March, 2007
- DoD (2008) Systems Engineering Guide for Systems of Systems, Office of the Deputy Under Secretary of Defense for Acquisition, Technology and Logistics, Washington, DC. Ver. 1.
- Adams, K.MacG. and Keating, C.B. (2009) SoSE Methodology Rev 0.2. NCSoSE Technical Report 009-2009, National Centers for System of Systems Engineering, Norfolk, VA.