Leadership & Ethics
Topic Leader: Dr. Bill Schell
Affiliation: Montana State University
- Antonakis, John, Anna T. Cianciolo, and Robert J. Sternberg (eds). 2004. The Nature of Leadership. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Avolio, Bruce J. 2005. Leadership Development in Balance: Made / Born. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Bass, Bernard M. 1985. Leadership and Performance Beyond Expectations. New York: Free Press.
- Bennis, Warren G., and Robert J. Thomas. 2002. Geeks and Geezers: How Era, Values and Defining Moments Shape Leaders. Boston: Harvard Business School Press.
- Bossidy, Larry, and Ram Charan. 2002. Execution: The Discipline of Getting Things Done. New York: Crown Business.
- Burns, James M. 1978. Leadership. New York: Harper and Row.
- Buckingham, Marcus, and Curt Coffman. 1999. First, Break All the Rules: What the World’s Greatest Managers Do Differently. New York: Simon and Schuster.
- Christensen, Clayton M. 2003. The Innovator's Dilemma : The Revolutionary Book that Will Change the Way You Do Business. New York : HarperCollins
- Collins, Jim. 2001. Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap, and Others Don’t. New York: Harper Business.
- Collins, Jim. 2009. How the Mighty Fall: And Why Some Companies Never Give In. New York: Collins Business.
- Drucker, Peter F. 2001a. Leadership as work, in The Essential Peter Drucker. New York: Harper Business: 268 – 271.
- Follett, Mary Parker. 1949. The essentials of leadership in Freedom and Coordination. London: Pittman.
- George, Bill. 2003. Authentic Leadership: Rediscovering the Secrets to Creating Lasting Value. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Jamieson, Dale. 2008. Ethics and the Environment: An Introduction. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- King, W.J. and James G. Skakoon. 2001. The Unwritten Laws of Engineering. New York: ASME Press.
- Kotter, James P. 1990. A Force for Change: How Leadership Differs From Management. New York: Free Press.
- Kouzes, James M., and Barry Z. Posner. 1995. The Leadership Challenge: How to Keep Getting Extraordinary Things Done in Organizations, 2nd ed. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Louv, Richard. 2005. Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children from Nature-Deficit Disorder. Chapel Hill, NC: Algonquin Books.
- Louv, Richard. 2011. The Nature Principle: Human Restoration and the End of Nature-Deficit Disorder. Chapel Hill, NC: Algonquin Books.
- Strock, James M. 2003. Theodore Roosevelt on Leadership: Executive Lessons from the Bully Pulpit. New York: Three Rivers Press.
- Tompkins, Jim. 2007. Bold Leadership for Organizational Acceleration. Raleigh, NC: Tompkins Press.
- Russ, Thomas H. 2010. Sustainability and Design Ethics. Boca Raton, FL : CRC Press, Taylor & Francis
- van de Poel, Ibo and Lambèr M M Royakkers. 2011. Ethics, Technology, and Engineering: An Introduction. Malden, MA: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Wren, Daniel A. and Arthur G. Bedeian. 2008. The Evolution of Management Thought Sixth Edition. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.
- Bass, Bernard M. 1990. From transactional to transformational leadership: Learning to share the vision. Organizational Dynamics, 18: 19 – 31.
- Bommer, William H., Robert S. Rubin, and Timothy T. Baldwin. 2004. Setting the stage for effective leadership: Antecedents of transformational leadership behavior. Leadership Quarterly, 15, 2 (Apr): 195 – 210.
- George, Bill, and Andrew McLean. 2007. Why leaders lose their way. Strategy and Leadership, 35, 4: 4 – 11.
- Gergen, David. 2005. Does leadership matter? U.S. News and World Report, 139, 16 (Oct): 91.
- Herzberg, Frederick. 1968. One more time: How do you motivate employees? Harvard Business Review, (Jan / Feb): 53 - 62.
- Hogan, Robert, and Robert B. Kaise. 2005. What we know about leadership. Review of General Psychology, 9, 2 (Jun): 169 – 180.
- Lathem, Sandra A., Maureen D. Neumann, And Nancy Hayden. 2011. The Socially Responsible Engineer: Assessing Student Attitudes of Roles and Responsibilities. Journal of Engineering Education, 100, 3 (Jul), pp. 444–474.
- Maslow, Abraham H. 1950. A theory of human motivation. Psychological Review, 50: 370 – 396.
- McGregor, Douglas. M. 1957. The human side of enterprise. Management Review, (Nov).
- Mintzberg, Henry. 1971. Managerial work: Analysis from observation. Management Science, 18(2): 97-110.
- Palmer, Daniel E. 2009. Business leadership: Three levels of ethical analysis. Journal of Business Ethics, 88: 525 – 536.
- Phills, James A. Jr. 2005. Leadership matters -- Or does it. Leader to Leader, 36, (Apr 1): 46-52.
- Waldman, David A, Gabriel G. Ramirez, Robert J. House, and Phanish Puranam. 2001. Does leadership matter? CEO leadership attributes and profitability under conditions of perceived environmental uncertainty. Academy of Management Journal, 44, 1: 134 – 143.
Recommended Conference Papers
- McLaurin, James R., and Mohammed Bushanain Al Amri. 2008. Developing an understanding of charismatic and transformational leadership, in the Proceedings of the Academy of Organizational Culture, Communications and Conflict. Reno, NV: 15 – 18 Oct.
- Schell, William J., Alisha D. Youngblood, and Phillip A. Farrington. 2008. An investigation into the antecedent experiences of transformational leaders: research approach and initial findings, in the Proceedings of the 2008 Industrial Engineering Research Conference, edited by Fowler and Mason. Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, 17 – 21 May: 1160 – 1165.