SEMS Student Paper Competition
Sponsored by Transformation Systems Inc.
Thanks to Transformation Systems Inc., we are pleased to announce the Society for Engineering and Management Systems (SEMS) Student Paper Competition for 2012. Transformation Systems Inc. (TSI) is an executive strategies and management systems engineering firm that specializes in transformational leadership dedicated to making organizations leaner, faster, better and smarter.
The papers should demonstrate or describe the use of techniques that improve productivity and quality through effective and economical managerial techniques and philosophies. Both undergraduate and graduate students are invited to submit papers. The winners must present their papers in the ISERC Engineering Management Track at the 2012 IIE Annual Conference & Expo May 19-23 in Orlando, Fla. The lead author of the first place paper will receive a complimentary ticket to the Honors & Awards Banquet. Their names will not be announced during the banquet. Their names will be announced on Tuesday before the keynote address. In addition, their names will be on the scrolling PowerPoint Monday and Tuesday morning as people enter the room for the keynote speakers.
The first place winner paper will be included in the IIE Honors & Awards Program. The lead authors of the first, second and third place papers will receive the following awards, which they may share with any co-authors at their discretion:
- First Place: $600 and complimentary Honors & Awards Banquet ticket
- Second Place: $300
- Third Place: $100
- The applicant must be a full-time student at the time of submission.
- The paper must present original research results.
- The research must have been conducted while the applicant was a student.
- The paper must not have won or been considered for an award in another competition.
- At least one author must be an IIE member and present the paper at the 2012 Annual Conference & Expo, May 19-23, 2012 in Orlando, Fla.
- Winning papers will appear on the IIE Society for Engineering and Management Systems website.
- Authors will be asked to sign an ethics statement stating that they are full-time students and that the research and writing is their own work.
- Advising by a nonstudent is allowed, such as an academic or industry advisor. However, only students can be authors or co-authors.
SEMS Student Paper Competition Winners – 2012
This year’s winners are:
First Place: Akkarapol Sa-Ngasoongsong – Oklahoma State University
"Long-Term Demand Prediction Using Long-Run Equilibrium Relationship of Intrinsic Time-Scale Decomposition Components"
Second Place: Patrick Garner – University of Pittsburgh
"Complexities in the Operating Room"
Third Place: Bhanuchander Poreddy and Benjamin Daniels – Missouri University of Science and Technology
"Mathematical Model of Sub-System Interactions for Forward Operating Bases"
The awards were formally presented during the 2012 IIE Annual Conference and Expo in Orlando.
Click here to view previous winners of the Student Paper Competition.