Computer & Information Systems (CIS) Division Mobile App Competition
CIS Mobile App competition is designed to provide students with opportunities of developing practical mobile apps based on theories and practices in the field of industrial and systems engineering or related fields, and taking business initiatives for the mobile apps.
Eligibility of participants
- Any domestic or international, undergraduate or graduate students from higher education institutions in the field of industrial and systems engineering or related fields. Recent graduates whose graduation date is within one year of the proposal submission date may also compete.
- A team can consist of maximum four members.
- At least one of the team members must be a member of IIE.
- Proposal submission: Teams will submit a two-page description of their apps, by email, for a review by the competition steering committee (John Yoo: email@example.com and Gerry Knapp: firstname.lastname@example.org) by Nov. 22. The two-page description should include a list of team members and their affiliations, the name of the app, a list of features of the app and target market segments of the app.
- The scope of apps: Any app will be accepted if it is based on any concept, principle, technique or application related to the field of industrial and systems engineering.
- App submission: Teams will submit (a) their prototype app, (b) a user manual, (c) software design document and (d) a demonstration video clip to the competition steering committee by Feb. 14. The committee will review the submissions and select a maximum four finalists (teams). Depending on the number of and the quality of submitted apps, less than four finalists may be selected.
- Final presentation: The four finalists will present both (a) technical details of their apps and (b) business plans in IIE-CIS Town Hall Meeting and demonstrate how their apps work. (A) The technical details should include, but are not limited to, features and architecture of the apps and (b) the business plan should include, but are not limited to, targeting market segments, marketing strategy and profit model.
- Approval of proposals by Dec. 6.
a) The competition steering committee will review and approve the submitted proposals.
b) Acceptance notice will be sent by email from the committee.
- Selection of top four finalists (teams) by Mar. 7.
a) The competition steering committee will decide up to four finalists (teams).
b) The selected finalists will get a notice by email from the committee.
- Selection of winners in IIE-CIS Town Hall meeting during the 2014 IIE Annual Conference & Expo in Montreal, QC, Canada May 31 - June 3.
a) The finalists will make a presentation and show a demonstration of the apps during the IIE-CIS Town Hall meeting.
b) A blind voting among invited judges will decide the winners.
c) The award ceremony will be followed by the voting.
- Proposal submission: Nov. 22
- Approval of proposals: Dec. 6
- App Submission: Feb. 14
- Finalists Notified: Mar. 7
John Jung-Woon Yoo, Bradley University
Gerry Knapp, Louisiana State University
University of West Indies
CIS Division page