Assistant director for applied research at the Industrial Extension Service (IES) Department and adjunct research assistant professor at Radiation Oncology Department at School of Medicine – University of North Carolina
Lukasz Mazur is an assistant director for applied research at the Industrial Extension Service (IES) Department. He also holds an adjunct research assistant professor position at Radiation Oncology Department at School of Medicine – University of North Carolina along with adjunct professor position at the Industrial and Systems Engineering and Biomedical Engineering Departments at North Carolina State University’s College of Engineering. He received his undergraduate and graduate degrees including Ph.D. in industrial engineering from Montana State University.
Mazur provides leadership for major projects within the IES, which is part of the College of Engineering. IES is a major component of the state’s economic development operation by diffusing engineering, science and technology to North Carolina industry, business and public agencies for the enhancement of quality, productivity and environmental protection. This is accomplished by delivering and/or developing professional education and technical assistance that meet the needs of engineers and technical professionals thus advocating the use of engineering science and technology through best practices to promote growth and the production of quality products.
Mazur provides hands-on technical assistance to private and public clients (mainly hospitals) in the field of Healthcare Engineering Management, and develops solutions to issues using his expertise, skills and research results. He is involved in sponsored research in the area of healthcare engineering, concurrent engineering project management, and healthcare education, to investigate new technologies and procedures that can improve the sustainability and safety of client enterprises.
Recently he has been awarded an Outstanding Extension Service Award for the College of Engineering and a prestigious Alumni Outstanding Extension Service Award for the North Carolina State University, resulting in induction into the Academy of Outstanding Faculty Engaged in Extension, for his research and implementation efforts in healthcare quality improvements. Mazur is an active researcher, publishing articles in scholarly journals and conference proceedings. In addition, his consulting experience in health care engineering has given him the practical know-how to study and evaluate quality improvement implementation initiatives.
IIE/SEMS Activities (e.g., serving on SEMS and IIE committees, conferences and initiatives):
- Invited session chair: Implementation Science, Engineering Management Track, Industrial Engineering Research Conference, Cancun, 2012
- Invited session chair: Invited paper session on Organizational Change, Engineering Management Track, Industrial Engineering Research Conference, Reno, Nevada, 2011
- Session chair: Healthcare Engineering Management, Engineering Management Track, Industrial Engineering Research Conference, Cancun, 2010
- Topic leader: Organization Change and Organizational Learning, invitation from Society of Engineering and Management Systems (SEMS), Institute of Industrial Engineering, 2010-2011.
- Blog and website development: SEMS, Institute of Industrial Engineering, 2011-2012.
Local Community Service (e.g., charity volunteer work):
- Providing seminars to local community associations and schools interested in industrial and management engineering and continuous quality improvement
- Helping to raise funds for various charity initiatives