Operations Research Division
Call for Nominations - Deadline Extended to January 19
Take advantage of an excellent opportunity to serve your IIE division in a significant way! If not you, then perhaps you know someone who is qualified to assume a leadership role on the IIE Operations Research Division board.
We are filling the position of president-elect, who will serve a three-year term: one year as president-elect, one year as president, and one year as past-president. We are also filling two director positions (who will serve a two-year term). Terms will begin on June 1.
Nominations from academia, industry and government are encouraged. Self-nominations are welcomed. Student members are not eligible. Eligibility: Nominees must be IIE members in good standing.
Participation in a leadership role for the division is a challenging, yet very rewarding experience. Take a few minutes to consider submitting your name or that of a colleague!
Update: Deadline extended to February 19. To submit a nomination, complete the online nomination form by February 19.
Please contact Maria Mayorga if you have questions about the Operations Research Division or the board of directors. Our continued success depends on our members giving back to their divisions.
2016 OR Teaching Award - Deadline February 29
The Operations Research Division of IIE invites nominations for its annual award recognizing excellence in teaching operations research. The award will be presented at the upcoming IIE Annual Conference in Anaheim, Calif., May 21-24.
Call for Nominees for the 2016 Annual Award for Excellence in the Teaching of Operations Research
- The candidate must be a member of IIE.
- The course for which he/she is being recognized must be an undergraduate operations research course (examples of course titles might be Operations Research, Linear Programming, Optimization Methods, etc.) within an Industrial Engineering, Systems Engineering, Civil Engineering, or Management Engineering program.
- Course materials for which they are being recognized must have been developed by the candidate.
Nominations may be made by a faculty colleague or a student who has taken the course from the candidate. The nomination package must consist of the following:
- Letters of support from the nominator and two other individuals; at least one of the three letters must be from a faculty member and one from a student
- Course syllabus and supporting items such as samples of different instructional materials used
- Summary copies of teaching evaluations for the course he/she is being recognized
- Curriculum vitae of the candidate
- A one-page reflective statement by the individual being nominated
All supporting documents in the nomination package should be submitted in PDF format. Deadline for nominations is February 29, 2016, 8 a.m. EST. Please email the entire package either as a single PDF file or a single compressed/zipped file to Dr. Mary Beth Kurz at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2015 Winner: Balabhaskar Balasundaram, Oklahoma State University
2014 Winner: Eric Moreno-Centeno, Texas A&M University
2013 Winner: Alex Savachkin, University of South Florida
About the Operations Research Division
Members apply mathematics and sophisticated computer programs to solve engineering problems. Some members work in areas such as forecasting, statistical analysis and simulation. Operations Research News, an email newsletter sent periodically to all members, includes articles on simulation developments and applications and statistical process control as well as other points of interest.
Operations Research Division mission
The mission of the division shall be to support its members by fostering networks, offering programs and maintaining resources that represent their core competencies and/or areas of specialized practice.
Operations Research Division goals
These five goals are essential to addressing IIE’s mission:
- Develop, maintain and disseminate a body of technical knowledge.
- Provide a forum for technical networking.
- Be perceived as the voice of the technical specialty.
- Collaborate with IIE to support the mission of the Institute, provide member value and promote the discipline.
- Work with the NLC to establish a set of metrics that track society and division activities.
Operations Research Division Board 2015-2016
Dept. of Industrial Engineering
Immediate Past President
North Carolina State University
Sandra D. Ekisioglu
University of Louisville
Operations Research Analyst
NASA Langley Research Center
Directors 2015- 2017
Ruben A. Proaño
Rochester Institute of Technology
University of Arkansas
To view the Division bylaws, click here.
Division Newsletters Archive