Tax filing / Financial Reporting
NEW TAX FILING ALERT – EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY
As of Jan. 1, 2012, all IISE chapters are required to electronically submit Form 990-N e-Postcard with the IRS and submit the Chapter Financial Report to email@example.com. Forms and instructions can be found below. If you have questions after reviewing the information below, please contact the IISE membership administrator - chapters & regions.
The following deadlines are for the Chapter Financial Report and the e-Postcard Filing (links below). Please note: you cannot file the e-Postcard until your chapter tax year ends on March 31.
- April 30 - Student chapters
- June 15 - Professional chapters
- Chapter Financial Report (Excel). Please note: Student chapters have to file both the financial statement and an ePostcard even if you don’t have a bank account.
- New requirement: e-Postcard Filing
990 e-Postcard instructions
All IIE chapters are required to electronically submit Form 990-N, also known as the e-Postcard. Form 990-N does not require any financial information. If the chapter’s receipts were more than $50,000 for the year however, the chapter will need to file a paper Form 990 or 990-EZ with detailed financial information.
If you do not file your e-Postcard on time, the IRS will send you a reminder notice. An organization that fails to file required e-Postcards (or information returns – Forms 990 or 990-EZ) for three consecutive years will automatically lose its tax-exempt status.
The e-Postcard is due to the IRS every year by the 15th day of the 5th month after the close of your tax year. Most chapters' year end is March 31. For example, if your tax year ended on March 31, the e-Postcard is due Aug 15. If the due date falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday, the due date is the next business day. You cannot file the e-Postcard until after your tax year ends, however, you CAN file it as soon as the tax year ends to meet IISE's required deadlines.
Here is the link for filing e-Postcard: http://epostcard.form990.org. The form must be completed and filed electronically. There is no paper form.
Information you need to provide on the e-Postcard:
The e-Postcard is easy to complete. All you need is the following information:
- Legal chapter name. This window should automatically populate. If it does not, can contact Edita Maya to get it.
- On the section that says "If your organization conducts business using another name(dba), enter other name": DBA name: Type IISE and a chapter # and your chapter name
- Chapter mailing address. The mailing address is the current mailing address used by the chapter.
- Chapter employer identification number (EIN).
- Every tax-exempt organization must have an EIN, sometimes referred to as a Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN), even if it does not have employees. The EIN is a 9-digit number and the format of the number is NN-NNNNNNN (for example: 00-1234567). Make sure you do not use the university's TIN. Each chapter has its own unique TIN.
- If you do not know your TIN, you may be able to find it on the organization's bank statement, IRS correspondence, or prior year return. You can contact Edita Maya at firstname.lastname@example.org or 800-494-0460 ext. 128 if you are not sure.
- DO NOT use the TIN of a parent or other organization.
Name and address of a principal officer of your organization. This is usually the president, vice president, secretary, or treasurer – often specified in the organization’s by-laws.