Yearly turnover due to graduation of members/officers is one of the key challenges facing a student chapter. An established transition and succession plan is one way of dealing with this issue. Below are some suggestions:
- Get those students not graduating to volunteer.
- Have a past officer assist with the new board.
- Elect a president-elect who will be around after the president graduates.
- Identify and mentor upcoming potential officers.
- Involve sophomores and juniors in chapter planning.
- Have current officers identify potential new leaders.
- Send one or two incoming officers to the Volunteer Leadership Training at the annual conference.
- Have officers participate in the regional conference calls organized by their Region Vice President.